The Northcutt Family blog

This is a crazy, beautiful life we lead. "I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" -John 10:10




Monday, March 10, 2008

12 month appointment

We had Reid's 1 year check up today and everything is looking great! He's doing really well developmentally and I got my questions answered. Each visit there seems to be a theme to all of my questions - food, sleep, milk, safety stuff, but this visit there were some more questions that are starting to be more "kid" questions and less newborn questions. One is discipline! The doctor said that now's the time to really start - with saying "no," time-outs, and even a little spanking! Now, Reid really doesn't do anything that warrants a time-out or a spanking (which sounds so harsh, but I think he's referring to a little tap) but I'm sure we're getting to that stage soon. Matt and I have talked about what we'll do for discipline and we've decided to not spank. Those of you who know me know that I do a lot of reading, and I'm constantly trying to read from different sources about typical baby questions. From what I've read psychologists say that some parents like to swat their kids when they're old enough to know the word no, but too young to be explained that something is dangerous and so to use the "spank" in situations where you really need to get the message across. We'll see - I guess it will depend on the circumstance. Anyway, it's really hard not to laugh when we tell Reid, "No!" He just looks up at us like, "who, me?" Enough with the discipline issue (sorry if I'm boring you...). Reid's weight dropped off a little, but the doctor expected that because he's walking so much and burning calories.

Weight: 20 pounds (25th percentile)
Height: 30 inches (50th)
Head: 18 and 3/4 (50th)

Also, something interesting, the doctor said that his wife had their son putting himself in time-outs around the age of 15 months! We've got some work to do...

2 comments:

The Rowe Crew said...

I love to know other parents have questions about this too!!!

We started out giving her little spankings on the hand and found that she started hitting. It was crazy! Once we stopped, so did the hitting. So now we are doing time out. It's actually working pretty well and she did the same thing...put herself in time out this weekend! It was hilarous!!! We'll go back to spankings someday when she's older, but for now this is working.

Good luck! No matter what, it's never fun to discipline those little sweeties :o)

S, J, B, & S said...

I was just looking back at this post ... Blake's head was also 18.75" but they told me it was 90-95th percentile!! ??? Who knows? I guess all the doctors have different charts! :)