The Northcutt Family blog

This is a crazy, beautiful life we lead. "I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" -John 10:10




Friday, February 10, 2017

Easy Breakfast Ideas!

Breakfast.  "The Most Important Meal of the Day."  No pressure when you're in charge of fueling little ones before they head out for the day! Especially if you have picky eaters ;-/

Exhibit A....Reaction when told to eat ONE bite of chicken (at age 3)


I feel like one thing I can (semi) ;-) control is what my kids eat, and giving them a good, brain-healthy breakfast is what I like for them to eat before school.  But, let's be honest, I would be OVER.THAT. in a week if I cooked them a full continental breakfast every day!  So, here's an easy way to make a single, short-order breakfast.  Because, of course, they can't all eat an egg the same way. I have a child who will only eat his eggs if they're all yellow, one who will only eat them if they're piping hot, and one who doesn't eat eggs (yet!).  For my one who doesn't eat eggs, she eats a whole grain (Eggo of course) waffle with peanut butter and syrup.

Simple "Fried" Eggs
1-2 eggs
PAM, Coconut Spray, or a smudge of butter
S&P

Spray/Melt butter in a small sauté pan.  Crack an egg in the pan, and break and spread the yolk with a fork. Sprinkle on S&P. (Now, for my one who likes all yellow, I've discovered that I mix, with a fork, 1 egg and 1 egg yolk in a bowl and then pour that into the pan).  Let cook on 1 side for a couple minutes and then flip to the other side.  Voila!  Serve with some toast. **


**Real-life truth - after they eat eggs, they most likely pick Eggo waffles, and then they'll have toast after that if they're still hungry.  My kids LOVE them some Eggo waffles and some (what I call "fake") syrup.  This is our freezer, stockpiled with their favorite Eggo waffles...no judging-  you know we're just trying to survive the morning craziness ;-)



Finding something to eat for myself that is healthy, filling and quick is annoying to have to do everyday too! ;-) I'll either make the "fried" egg meal for myself (with some spinach and cheese) or I'll make this oatmeal:

Oatmeal
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup cashew milk (or regular milk, almond milk, etc.)
1/2 banana mashed
1-2 TBS of protein powder (non-flavored)

Topping:
Stir together:
2-3 TBS nonfat greek yogurt
sprinkle of cinnamon
splash of milk of choice
teaspoon of stevia

Cook the oatmeal in the microwave for about 2 minutes.  Mix in the topping.

What are your go-to breakfast meals for kids or adults?




No comments: